10.31.2013

Weekend Trip to Destin, Florida (October 17th-20th)

We got to go on a four day weekend trip to Destin Florida courtesy of Southern Tire Mart for only the salesman that sold $3 million or more which was like around 20% of the salesman.  I think it's pretty awesome on Mike's part because he's only been a salesman for two years now.  We felt a little out of place because we were the youngest couples there, we didn't know anybody (he knew some people), and each dinner we felt so over dressed because most of the people dressed super casual.

We got to the resort and that Thursday evening we had a dinner outside, but we ended up getting rained on.  I was just glad I got to eat my pasta meal in time before it started to rain because I waited a long time for my food which was prepared right in front of you.

The next morning, Friday, we had to wake up really early to catch the 6 a.m. shuttle bus to go deep sea fishing.  At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to go because I didn't think I would want to be gone on a boat most of the day, and I thought it would be nice to have a day to myself.  But, I am so glad I went because it was actually a lot of fun and a great experience.  I don't think I would've ever had this experience if it weren't for this trip.  I didn't really dress the part because I didn't think I was actually going to fish, and it was pretty cool in the morning.  I was wearing jean shorts and a cute top and cardigan…not exactly fishing attire, but at least I looked cute.  ;) 
I was so tire and cold!  It took a while to drive the boat way out in to the ocean.
We went bait fishing first, but I thought it was the real deal so I was like, "Wow!  You got all those fish?!"  ;)

He had to throw this fish back in because it wasn't in season.  :(


Mike said that he had to get a picture of me fishing for the first time!


We went out far enough to do the real fishing!
This is how you fish!  You get everyone to do all the work!  ;)


I helped reel in a huge king something fish!  It was awesome.  The captain helped another lady on the boat by telling her there was a big fish below her.  She was able to catch it, but her hands were starting to fish so they gave me the pole and had me reel it in.  they wanted women to catch and reel in big fish because if it's really big and a woman catches and reels it in the captain or somebody will get more money for it.  At the end of fishing, we drove the boat over to a fish rodeo or whatever it's called  to have the two big fish our boat caught to be weighed and measured for the contest to find out who caught the biggest fish.  My fish was the 2nd biggest weighing in at 31.6 lbs.!
All the fish we caught!!

That night, Friday night, we all met up at a restaurant right off the beach.  They said that we ate the fish that we caught, but we didn't see how that was possible to get it from the dock, clean them, cook them, and present them on the buffet tables in time.  After dinner, we walked on the beach for a little bit.  It was actually the only time we spent on the beach!


The next day, Saturday, we decided that the both of us would have a spa day instead of playing golf.  We had a nice time sleeping in (especially after waking up really early the day before), eating a late breakfast, and walking around the huge resort.  The resort is like it's own little town.  You have to take a shuttle to get different places around the resort, but since we didn't have anything else to do we walked to the resort which was like a mile and a 1/2.  We had a nice time just walking around together before our spa appointment.  It was nice to get a massage, a body buff, and a facial!  Mike got everything but the facial.  We later met up together at he Birkenstock store to get some shoes then walked all the way back to our hotel room to get ready for the dinner that night.  And, again, we felt over dressed.  Oh well.  We had a fun time dancing after dinner!

We had such a great time on the trip and are so grateful that we were able to go and that my mom was able to take care of the girls!  It was nice to meet the owners of the company and get to know Dickey (Mike's co-worker) and his wife!  We don't get a whole lot of alone time, especially during the day so it was nice to spend some quality time together!



It was so good to see my mom…even if it was just for a little bit.
This was the only picture I got with my mom when she came to visit  and take care of the girls.
My mom took the girls to Fiddle Sticks Corn Maze in Midland.  Poor thing, though, it took her 2 and a 1/2 hours to get there when it should've taken her about 30 minutes.  She kept getting lost and started off going in the opposite direction.  I helped her figure out where she was before out spa appointment, then again right before my massage and the first 10 minutes of it, then I called her at the end of my massage and she had just gotten there!  I don't know how she kept getting turned around when she put the address in her map app on her phone from the very beginning.  I know how she gets, though, when she gets nervous and frustrated so I knew I needed to help her.  I'm just glad she finally got there!  She later texted me back that evening and said that it only took her 25 minutes to get back.  ;0





0 comments: