5.27.2009

My First Triathlon!

This past Memorial weekend, we went up to Shreveport to be with all the family. It was a great, long weekend but not long enough though. When we got into town on Saturday, my dad, Mike, and I played 9 holes of golf playing the last 2 holes in the rain. We finished just in time before the thunder and lightning started. Mike is getting better and better. Brent and my dad have been really good teachers for him. He was excited to go to the driving range on Sunday afternoon with all of us. . . . . like he really wanted to go. It's been really nice playing golf together.

Sunday morning Scott and I did our first triathlon. This has been a goal of mine to do since I was 18 years old. I've just never had a bike. I got Scott to do it with me because I didn't want to do it by myself. It was so nice to have Mike and my dad cheer my on the whole time. My mom and Tracey cheered me on for the swim part, Brent and Laura were there at the end, and Amy happened to find me in her car as I was running and she was cheering me at the very end in her car right next to me. It was kinda funny, but it was great to have them cheering me on at the end.

The whole race was a 450 yard swim, 14 mile bike, and a 2 1/2 mile run. I finished it in 1 hour and 30 minutes, and Scott finished it in 1 hour and 14 minutes. The swim was kind of crazy because everyone swam in a snake motion swimming in each lane of the pool. I would try to pass people in front of me but then I ran into people going the opposite direction. I need to work on the bike because I didn't so well, but the whole race was awesome. I'm so glad I did it and that Scott was able to do it with me.











2 comments:

Unknown said...

GO MEL!!! that's amazing mama!!

Shelley said...

Way to go Mel! I am so impressed! You should feel very proud!